Archive for category Empennage
I am back on the empennage fairing again, I started off by trimming a little more off the left side so it would have a nice transition to the new glass layers that would be layed, after that I covered everything in packaging tape layed some wax down and then 2 layers of glass, in the front there are an additional 2. I will see how it turned out tomorrow and if it needs another layer or not.
Over the past 2 days I worked on getting the Rudder Bottom Cut and mounted and mounting the strobe light. The area behind where the strobe light goes is not very well built so what I decided to do was to fill the void with some flox and then drill and tap the holes needed to mount the strobe in the epoxy/flox. It turned out ok, only dowside is the weight from the flox.
The rudder Cap was once again neglected for some reason, I layed the last layer of glass on the foam so it can be cut off tomorrow and be completed.
The Dacron once again did its job and made the rudder caps perfect. Rudder Cap was riveted however I did not lay any glass since I am not sure I will be out at the airport tomorrow. It may just have to wait until I get home next week.
The rudder cap got the same treatment as the Horizontal Stabilizer.
This morning I pulled the peel ply off and was very pleased with what was there. a little bit of sanding and then the caps could be riveted on. another layer of glass, in the same manner as previous and they were finished.
Since all the fiberglass materials are out, why not finish up the tail.
Well it has been a long time since I posted but I have completed the Empennage minus the Trim tab, I have attempted it twice now with little luck so I am going to hold off a bit and try and get a little assistance before I give it one more go. Plane building is now on hold until the wings come. Shouldn’t be too long now. Elevator Complete 124 hours
Its been a few days, but I managed to finish the Left Side Elevator today minus the trim tab and rolling the leading edge.
I BROKE 100 HOURS TODAY!! Right at the 100 hour mark I believe I was back drilling the left elevator stiffiners to the skin, after that came the classic, debur, dimple, clean prime. While letting the primer dry I started on the initial assembly of the skeleton. It started again with clecoing the counterbalance rib to the tip rib and then drilling the 2 holes into the counterbalance. If you remember, last time this did not turn out to so well as I broke the bit in the hole requiring an additional hole next to it. It looks terrible but is still functional. This time I used my new drill and a brand new bit and had no problem at all, both holes went quick and perfect. After that I finished up with completing assembly of the skeleton. Tommorrow will be a very productive day, I cant wait!!