Archive for category Engine
I spent some time cleaning and deburing the baffles, after a very light layer of primer I shot 3 layers of silver on the baffles. I am going to let them dry for a week or so before they go back on, A strip of UHMW tape will be put on the baffles to protect them when the plenum goes on and off.
Sanded the new fiberglass on the plenum, still a little to go.
Since Vans updated their baffles a section of the Plenum had to cut off, I had been procrastinating on getting this fixed and I did it first thing this morning. Currently there is only one layer of glass but I will put 2 or 3 more layers on the inside to give it more strength.
I had plans on starting the cowl so I borrowed some 242 blue loctite and torqued all 6 bolts to 47 ft lbs.
Just for fun I bolted the exhaust on to see how everything went together, It all looks great however it looks like I am going to have a clearance issue with the oil drain but that will be determined later on down the road.
While the top skins had paint drying, we decided to try and hang the engine. The top 2 bolts went in with no problem at all, the third was a bit more difficult but after figuring out that you needed to lift the engine with the hoist and then push down on the front it seemed to fall into place, the same happened for the 4th bolt. They still need torqued and have the proper washers placed with cotter pins but it is on. I also changed out the cork gaskets for the orange rubber ones vans sells.
R and L Carriers dropped off the engine today.